During a quiet moment this reflective weekend, had the opportunity to list in my journal how, ten years later, September 11, 2001 has forever changed me. Last night I added one more. I offer this brief list NOT because it’s unique. Just the opposite. At whatever latitude and longitude, let us mourn. Together.
How My Life Is Different Post 9/11:
1. Fear and sadness are the fabric of my life.
2. I know more about Islam and day-to-day Middle-Eastern life.
3. I know I am being watched/under surveillance.
4. TWO wars daily break my heart.
5. I better know the answer to “Why do they hate us so?”
“This is it.” Broken, neglected infrastructure, the hopelessness and futility and rage expressed by this crap is How It Is, How It Will Be, I fear.
(Unless, of course, you and I . . . )