[My oldest with her youngest]
Every bloomin,’ freakin’ day are you getting 10 to 15 frantic emails from the Democratic Party and their kin? Do the senders wring their hands about the dire state we’re in and what terrible things will happen if YOU don’t send them 5 bucks? Do some “We’re teetering on the Edge!!” emails also remind you of how many times they’ve already emailed you this past week and yet . . . Do you struggle with this blitz of near-hysterical requests? Do you want to to do the right thing—yet wonder if money is really what’s needed? Do you suspect that your contribution’s simply adding to an already spiraling downward madness in this country?
Yeah. Me, too.
Here’s what I’m doing: If, indeed, raising money is truly the only way to save ourselves from That Other Party, my money’s going to Emily’s List. Because, it’s true, the personal is the political. And Emily’s List supports women candidates who will speak out on the issues that most affect me, my daughters and my grand-daughters; indeed, all women.
FYI, here’s a list that spells out–in part– what I’m talkin’ about:
- The right to vote.
- The right to be protected against domestic abuse, sexual harassment, and rape under the law.
- The right to receive an equal wage.
- The right to be promoted, despite whether or not you have children, despite your gender, based solely upon your work performance.
- The right to quality healthcare.
- The right to have access to birth control.
- The right to choose.
- The right to have a career, a family, or both.
- The right to marry, despite your sexual orientation.
- The right to choose your path in life, and not have gender roles assign your path in life.
- The right to quality daycare.
- The right to be represented in our political and religious institutions.
- The right to speak your mind, instead of being dismissed because you are a woman.
- The right to have impossible beauty standards removed from your life.
- The right to have a job in a traditional male-dominated field.
- The right to financial independence.